Tuesday, November 3, 2015

When your central character isn’t central to the story

One of the things I was looking for feedback from the Great Reads community on is my central character: Indiana Jones. Like many of my central characters, Indy is often not very central to the action or the outcome of any situation.


I think my problem starts with the initial way I frame a story. I come up with the plot and then look for a protagonist. More often than not I end up with a character who is in every chapter but not necessarily making things happen. He’s more of an omniscient observer than an active participant. I know I’m in trouble when I have to find an excuse to squeeze my narrator into a scene.


My problem with Indy starts literally on the first page of “Backstage Disneyland” - which Indy is noticeably absent from. I tell myself that I’m doing a flyover scene on page one that I imagine opening movie credits rolling over. But the reality is the star of my story doesn’t show up until the second page. For me, Indy should be in the first sentence or at least the first paragraph.

At times during upcoming chapters Indy will almost drop out of the picture completely. But I don’t know what to do. I seem to like the third-person limited points of view. I could use some suggestions from you guys.

Buy the book

Read the blog

Sample chapters
Prologue: Once Upon a Time
Chapter 1: Wonderful World of Disney
Chapter 2: A Whole New World
Chapter 3: Exile on Main Street USA
Chapter 4: Evil Plans
Chapter 5: Real Princesses of Disneyland
Chapter 6: Action Figure
Chapter 7: Code R
Chapter 8: Common Foes
Chapter 9: Peace, Love & Mickey
Chapter 10: Operation Death Star

Chapter 11: Frozen Ever After

No comments:

Post a Comment