Friday, November 13, 2015

Framing the action before introducing the dialogue

Dialogue has always been one of my strengths as a writer - sometimes to my detriment.


The last book I started about a high school girl that goes from least to most popular was virtually all dialogue before I dropped the story. It was nothing but talking heads moving from one contrived location to another.


I’m pretty happy with the dialogue in “Backstreet Disneyland” because I set out to frame the action before I ever thought about what the characters would say - trusting that my dialogue strengths would shine through when I needed them later.


That approach allowed me to figure out a voice for each character before grafting dialogue onto their nascent personality. It also forced me to focus on the action - one of my storytelling weaknesses.

With the dialogue introduced later in the writing process I was able to have my characters express themselves in concise yet conversational ways. I constantly found myself editing down the dialogue to the bare minimum - cutting away exposition that was better handled by the narrator and letting my characters speak in shorter bursts like real people do.

Buy the book

Read the blog

Sample chapters
Prologue: Once Upon a Time
Chapter 1: Wonderful World of Disney
Chapter 2: A Whole New World
Chapter 3: Exile on Main Street USA
Chapter 4: Evil Plans
Chapter 5: Real Princesses of Disneyland
Chapter 6: Action Figure
Chapter 7: Code R
Chapter 8: Common Foes
Chapter 9: Peace, Love & Mickey
Chapter 10: Operation Death Star
Chapter 11: Frozen Ever After

No comments:

Post a Comment